Research on Apples Heart Health Benefits
Business Wire IndiaYou know the old adage: “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Well, that’s actually some sound advice! According to recent release by U.S. Apple Association (USApple), eating apples can be one of the most convenient and accessible ways to fight many of the factors that contribute to heart disease, the leading cause of death globally. Here are five reasons to make apples your significant other this year:
- An Ohio State University study recently found that eating an apple a day for four weeks lowered blood levels of oxidized LDL – the bad cholesterol – by 40%.
- A University of Oxford (UK) study found that eating an apple once a day may be just as beneficial as daily statin use when it comes to preventing vascular deaths in individuals over 50.
- A University of Florida study found eating two apples a day reduced LDL by 23%.
- Studies show people who eat apples or apple products regularly are more likely to have lower blood pressure and trimmer waistlines.
- U.S. researcher’s report that for every 10 grams of fiber consumed per day the risk of developing heart disease may decrease 14 percent, and the risk of dying from heart disease may decrease 27 percent. They also found that fiber from fruits appeared to be slightly more protective than cereal fiber, lowering the risk of coronary disease death by 30 percent.
Commenting on this, Wendy Brannen, Director of Consumer Health and Public Relations, USApple
said, "Not only are apples versatile and delicious, but they’re a super food packed with powerful antioxidants and heart health benefits.
Nutrition Consultant Geetu Amarnani
added, “Eating one large apple provides 20% of the recommended daily value of dietary fiber, 8% of the antioxidant Vitamin C, and 7% of your day’s potassium, all for only 130 calories. Besides Apples containing a wide variety of flavonoid compounds good for the heart, apples are low in calories and fat, low in sodium and contain vitamins, minerals and fiber. It helps in increasing health and vitality to keep active throughout the day. The phytochemicals present in apple helps to reduce the problems such as cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and asthma.
Mr. Keith Sunderlal of The SCS Group, which represents the Washington Apple Commission in India
said, “There are around 7,500 varieties of apple grown around the world today. Among these the best are planted in the commercial orchards of Washington State. Some of the popular variants of Washington Apples which are now available in India are juicy Red Delicious, crisp and very sweet Gala, green and juicy Granny Smith to name a few.”
He further added, “Washington Apples have gained popularity in India in the recent years. Owing to the growing health consciousness among Indians, the demand for delicious Washington Apples has been on the rise. This nutritious fruit is now available in retail chains and local fruit sellers across India.”
About Washington Apple Commission
The Washington Apple Commission is an industry initiated self-governing body made up of apple growers and packers from Washington. The Commission is responsible for product promotion, advertising and development of international markets of Washington Apples. The Commission coordinates an international marketing program consisting of trade and consumer promotion, public relations and advertising to promote and expand world-wide demand for Washington Apples.
About The SCS Group
The SCS Group is an agribusiness consulting firm based in Gurgaon, specializing in marketing, international trade and communications strategy related to food, beverage and agricultural products. The firm has an intimate understanding of the evolving tastes and purchasing patterns of premium foods by the Indian consumer as their disposable incomes grow and they integrate into the global economy. The SCS Group represents the Washington Apple Commission in India.